I finally bit the bullet and got back on my road bike this morning for a blast in over Frankley Beeches. It was the first time since my crash on the 13th of June that I’ve thrown my leg over it. But that doesn’t mean I’ve been ignoring it. Oh no.
I finally got around to fitting the wheels I had off Rafe, as my Shimano RS20s are destined for another purpose. Say no more, nudge nudge, wink wink.
The gory details about them are here, copied and pasted from Rafe’s original advert, cough, er, I mean email.
* Hubs – Shimano Ultegra 6600
* Rear Hub Shimano 8, 9 & 10 Speed Compatible
* Hub Finish – Polished
* Includes Shimano Ultegra Quick Release Wheel Skewers
* Wheel Sizes – 700c
* Front & Rear Wheels Included
* Clincher Rims – Requires Tyres & Tubes
* Spokes – ACI Stainless Steel Double Butted
* Spoke Count – 32 Per Wheel
* Rims – Mavic CXP33
* Rim Colour – Black
* Great Top Level Aero Wheelset
* Suitable For Road Training – Road Riding – Light Cyclo Cross Use
I put the original cassette from my RS20s on there as the RS20s are getting a new one and whacked some Schwalbe Blizzard Sport 23s on them and I was good to go. They look pretty good and will serve me well as commuting wheels for the crappy bus and wagon eroded roads around Birmingham.
I can’t say I noticed too much of a difference in ride quality on the pedal in. Maybe a slight (and I do mean slight) lack of kick on the hill over the Beeches, but maybe that was me and my weakness at 0500hrs of a morning!
Looking forward to a good week of pedalling now.